I haven't answered questions on my blog in a while, and when I saw some of my favorite bloggers Just Jessie and But First Coffee do the "50 Questions" post, I felt inspired to join in. Leggo!
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called? My name has 8 letters, so it's hard to give a nickname. My nieces and nephews called me Shel, and the rest of family calls me Twinkie, haha.
2. What books on your shelf are begging to be read? I'm currently reading In Cold Blood and plan on reading The Shack when I'm finished. I'm a sucker for murder stories and love watching Forensic Files (morbid, I know).
3. How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like? I actually don't doodle, but when I used to it would usually be a cat, ha!
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and Turn? Try to get up and do something productive? I usually lay there wondering why I can't fall asleep and end up stressing over it and get in that awkward sleep trance where you never really fall asleep. It's awful!
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it? I could probably last a day. I actually love alone time- I think it's healthy to have it in small doses.
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away? Of course I save! I have an old tin one of my childhood friends gave me on my 13th birthday that I keep meaningful cards and letters in.
7. Who is the biggest pack rat you know? My husband.
8. When making an entrance in to a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost? Sneak in quietly for sure.
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be? Touch definitely is not- I've burnt my fingers so much on my curling wands and straighteners that I can barely feel heat on certain fingers. I honestly don't know what I would give up...
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror? Sadly every time I pass one, unless I'm lookin' a hot mess that day.
11. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child? That I had telekinesis. Remember that 90s Nickelodeon show The Secret World of Alex Mack? I thought I could do what she could.
12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? Reality TV, shopping and coffee- I can't pick just one.
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know? My grandmother. She has the biggest heart I know.
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections? Nope.
15. Which animals scare you most? Why? Spiders because they're disgusting, creepy things.
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on? Avoid. I wish I engaged it head-on.
17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savored? My husband thanked me for moving across the country for his job. Makes me feel good!
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will? My social anxiety. I hate small talk and get so anxious in those situations.
19. Are you a creature of habit? Explain. Yep. I prefer to have a schedule.
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain. To some degree, yes.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? It's been a while. Oops...
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why? Both. Because we move around so much I've met some great people that I keep in touch with, but I have a couple of very close friends I keep in touch with on a regular basis.
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others? Probably both.
24. What’s a strange occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone? I used to hear music when I had those old metal fillings- I swear! Sometimes I'd get some strange frequencies.
25. What do you think about more than anything else? What I should be doing next.
26. What’s something that amazes you? God's beautiful creations. I mean, really- take a look around.
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? Why? Give it to me straight.
28. Where’s your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? We just moved to North Dakota a week ago, so I'm not sure yet! Probably some locally-owned restaurant.
29. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why? Style my hair. I suck at it and hate spending the time on it.
30. Do you have a catchphrase? Golly. I have no idea why I say that or where I got that from...
31. What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs? What conditions cause you to dislike or, conversely, enjoy talking with them? I think you should always be respectful.
32. How and where do you prefer to study? Haven't studied in a while, but I always preferred to study in the college library.
33. What position do you sleep in? Fall asleep on my stomach but sleep on my back.
34. What’s your all-time favorite town or city? Why? We've lived in so many different cities so I'm not sure. I eventually want to go back to Florida, so I'll stick with favorite state.
35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new? Warm, friendly and humor.
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you? I'm the youngest- quite a bit younger. I wish I grew up with my sisters for more years than we did.
37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be? My anxiety. I think some stupid stuff sometimes!
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be? The best friend I had in Florida all throughout college. She dated a guy who didn't like me very much so we lost touch.
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? I'm pretty neutral; I don't love my name but I don't hate it.
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not? Nope. Honesty is everything.
41. What do you consider unforgivable? Lying and cheating.
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not? Yes… live and learn.
43. How difficult is it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize? I wouldn't.
44.Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for? Huh?
45. To what extent do you trust people? Explain. I'm too trusting- I need to work on that.
46. In what area of your life are you immature? I've always thought I was pretty mature for my age. Maybe my love of animated movies?
47. What was the best news you ever received? Something to do with an accident I was involved with 8 years ago.
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular? I always keep it honest, but I do it in a nice way.
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first? This is a lot in one question. I just clicked with someone in Bismarck and we've already hung out a few times- we hit it off with coffee and Target, ha! No to the second part.
50. When do you find yourself singing? In the car or when I'm putting my makeup on. That ish takes too long not to sing!
BTW- this photo has nothing to do with anything, and neither does this post, either. But it's only 15 degrees here in ND and I'm freezing and needed to reminisce about the time I lived in warm, sunny Florida. This photo is from our engagement shoot- over 6 years ago! Look at those 'lil babes!
I can't explain how good it feels to finally have internet at our new home in North Dakota! If you didn't know, my husband received and excellent job offer in Bismarck, which meant packing up our lives- including a chocolate lab and two cats- and driving nearly 15 hours from Missouri. It's been a whirlwind of emotions, and I can't wait to get back into a routine.
Our furniture won't arrive until Sunday (which means 6 days with nothing but an air mattress), so I've been a little stir crazy. I'm looking forward to making our house a home and getting settled! Until then, I had to hop on here and at least let ya'll know I made it! I'll be posting regular content again within the next week.
Wondering why I've been MIA in the blogging world? I've been a little preoccupied and haven't found the time to blog because... we're moving to... Nor'Dakoda don'tcha know! Can't you tell with the huge snow mound in the background?
My husband works in TV news and has accepted a prime time anchor position in Bismarck! We're so excited for this next adventure and can't wait to be settled in our new home!
Did I mention we're buying our first home? Ahhhhh, pinch me. We've rented apartments since we graduated college so we're ready to quit wasting money in rent and invest in a house. You can find me on Pinterest the next few years as I try out some home projects!
We officially move Sunday, March 12. Because we're driving from Missouri we'll have to break up the almost 14 hour drive in two days and will arrive in our new city on March 13! Seriously, please send prayers our way, ya'll- I don't do well highway driving for hours at a time. Anxiety, a bad bladder and a chocolate lab in the back seat don't mix very well.
We can't wait for this new adventure! I'll be sure to blog our time spent in the Tundra (as I call it) complete with snow storms and learning the almost-Canadian way of life. If you have any subzero snow tips, PLEASE leave them in the comments below! I grew up in Connecticut but this girl isn't used to subzero temps!
Baked eye shadows are ultra pigmented, long wearing and silky smooth. The formulation of baked shadows allows them to be used wet or dry (wet for more intense pigmentation). I recently climbed on board the baked eye shadow trend and am loving how silky and pigmented these shadows are from the BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Baked Eyeshadow Palette!
This palette was is only $10 and comes with 18 shimmer shades that are extremely pigmented and silky! My favorite thing about this palette is the names for the shadows- I mean, how creative that they named these based on planets and space terms. Although, maybe it's just me, but I'm a little bitter about the whole "Pluto is no longer a planet" nonsense. Ya feel?
Shimmery baked shadows can be intimidating if you've never used them. I don't use shadows from this palette to create and entire look; I usually use a couple for my actual lid color and maybe a darker color on the outer v of my crease.
See how natural they can look? I used "Saturn" all over my lid and mixed "Mercury" and "Mars" in my outer v, creating an everyday, natural look!
Are you a fan of shimmer shades? Better yet, are you upset about Pluto no longer being considered a planet?
I. LOVE. COFFEE. I feel like Oprah in her Weight Watchers commercial; "I LOVE BREAD." I mean, bread is delicious, but I'm here to proclaim my love for coffee and why I'm in love with such a flavorful, robust, delicious thang.
It's Comforting. As much as I've come to enjoy mornings—NEVER thought I would say that—nothing gets me out of bed more than knowing I have a fresh cup of coffee that's just waiting to be poured and devoured.
It gets me jacked. Listen- I need the friggin' energy. I work in digital media which means I'm at my computer ALL day. I force myself to get up occasionally and get away from my computer screen but still- over at least 8.5 consecutive hours a day takes its toll on your energy. Coffee helps me stay awake and gives me the energy I need to truck along.
It's delicious. I honestly enjoy the taste of coffee. I feel like some people only drink it for the caffeine, but I truly love certain blends: dark roast, Italian, donut, French— the list goes on!
It makes me social. I'm an extroverted introvert (yes, it's a real thing) and have social anxiety. Like legit social anxiety to the point where I make myself sick if I get anxious enough. I'm not great at small talk unless I feel comfortable, and coffee forces you to become more social. I friggin' love it for making me bold. Ha, get it? Yep.
There ya have it, folks. My love of coffee goes deeper than just Instagram-worthy pics. Are you a coffee drinker? Why do you love it?
If you have oily skin then you know how difficult it can be to find a BB cream that holds up throughout the day; because BB creams contain moisturizer it can be hard for them to wear well when mixed with your skin's natural oils. I've honestly never liked BB creams for this reason and haven't tried many new ones recently.
I stumbled across CoverGirl's Clean Matte BB Cream during one of my grocery trips to WalMart (so fun- NOT) and figured what the heck? Might as well try it! The packaging caught my eye first- it's in a cute, bright and plastic-squeeze package which is my favorite for foundations because they stay sterile versus dipping my finger or hand into the product. Of course I picked up the shade Fair because, duh.
Here are some of the product claims:
Lasts all day
Won't clog pores
Suitable for all skin types, even sensitive skin
I put this product to the test for a little over 6 hours to see how it held up throughout the day and I have to admit that I fell in love with this BB cream! It evened out my skin tone, covered most of my acne scars and didn't oxidize (turning orange) like most foundations do. If you have oily skin and are looking for a foundation that'll give you a natural finish while still controlling your oils, you HAVE to try it!
Look, I know I'm over a week late with Vlogmas week 4, but I was super lazy during my time off of work and laid around the house in sweats watching Gossip Girl. I'm forcing my husband to watch the entire series and we've almost finished season 2, which, if you're a GG fan, you know those seasons have over 20 episodes. I was extremely lazy but I needed it! #blairandchuck
I'm working a few other posts coming within the next week including first impressions on a new and popular drugstore BB cream AND mascara!